Yesterday the Ngobe indigenous leadership in a press conference announced that the government has until Friday to suspend the works on Barro Blanco. If not, they'll take to the streets again.
Minister Fabrega today made frantic attempts to contact the Ngobe representatives. However, a member of the "coordinadora" told us that they will not respond to him until Friday, when they expect a clear "yes" or "no".
The Ngobe leaders, including cacica Silvia Carrera, have been holding consultations among the population about what to do about the dam, which is being built and will be finished even though negotiations are still ongoing under an agreement reached last year.
The response of the Ngobe has been overwhelmingly against further negotiations as they only serve as a tactic to gain time and finish construction. The Ngobe want action. There is massive support for protests.
"The battle against Barro Blanco will not be decided at the negotiating table but in the streets", one leader said during one of those meetings where Bananama Republic was as an observer.
Fabrega, meanwhile, left for Chile today. He might have to come back soon.
UPDATE: The Martinelli government knows what's coming and has started broadcasting propaganda for hydroelectric dams in Panama.